Overreactions: Sabres lose to Red Wings, look awful doing it
For what really should be a momentous occasion in a club’s history, there wasn’t a lot of anticipation for this one. Rightfully, and unfortunately so.
The Buffalo Sabres unveiled their fifth third jersey in franchise history tonight at First Niagara Center, and the result of the game was a lot prettier than the result of the design process. Detroit, playing their third game in four nights, and without star center Pavel Datsyuk, handed the locally-based hockey franchise a 3-1 loss in front of 18,721.
Cody Hodgson opened the scoring, as Buffalo took a lead for the third game in a row. Those three games all ended in the same result: a loss.
Detroit tied the game on a Darren Helm goal just thirty seconds into the second period, and finally took the lead in the third period as Johan Franzen beat Ryan Miller with Tyler Myers in the penalty box. Losing the special teams battle was the difference, as the Buffalo powerplay went 0-for-2.
“It’s just something we have to clean up, that’s for sure,” said captain Steve Ott, when asked about the team’s penchant for taking penalties. “It’s gonna cost us games like it did tonight.”
Red Wings veteran Daniel Alfredsson (of course) added the empty netter to seal it.
Miller was fantastic for the Sabres tonight, stopping 31 of 33 shots and doing all that he could to keep the game close.
Buffalo has now lost four in a row, and hosts Montreal on Wednesday night.
- Even when the things got leaked/unveiled, there’s that “wait until you see them on the ice” crowd that withheld judgement. Well, they still looked like shit.
- Darren Helm’s goal was pretty. Shook Tyler Ennis’ coverage in front of the net, and whipped a quick backhand past Miller. You’d like to see more goals like that and less like Franzen’s ugly one.
- Matt Moulson is a few games like this away from showing up on a milk carton.
- Very few people in the crowd wearing the new jersey. Shockingly, there didn’t seem to be much interest in buying it. But great job, Sabres creative team! (Editor’s note: previous statement is sarcasm. Please do not take seriously. It was meant to be taken as a facetious remark. In no way is this an honest compliment to the Buffalo Sabres organization and/or their creative services department.)
- Drew Stafford’s been pretty good the last few games. Picked up an assist by collecting a loose puck at the Red Wings blue line and found Hodgson in front. Credited with six shots (three on goal, three blocked) and four takeaways tonight. Guy’s been putting in work.
- Saw a lot of people commending Tyler Myers’ play of late. This space hasn’t been very gracious to him in general, but regardless, I didn’t see it tonight. He was on the ice or in the box for every Red Wings goal tonight.
- I hear more Katy Perry music in this arena than every other minute of my life combined.
- Steve Ott got… harassed?… on a breakaway in the second period and was awarded a penalty shot. The harassment didn’t interfere with the chance much, but they called it anyways. a) I support that, because more penalty shots is better, in general and b) Maybe you try a little more of a different move on the penalty shot than you tried on the breakaway.
- So sick of “Gold On the Ceiling” by The Black Keys. Its endless use by the game presentation peeps is so frustrating. It doesn’t do anything for anyone. Do you feel cool for using it because it’s The Black Keys and they’re hip? Or is it because they say “gold” in the song? It doesn’t elicit any emotion. It’s incredibly representative of this organization in general. Trying to be too smart and missing the point. Look at the shitty jerseys.
3MI Three Star Selections
1. Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit
2. Ryan Miller, Buffalo
3. Drew Stafford, Buffalo
Official Three Stars of the Game
1. Ryan Miller, Buffalo (31 saves, 2 GA)
2. Darren Helm, Detroit (Goal (5))
3. Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit (Assist (18))
Quote of the night:
“I think it’s a state of mind. We just gotta change a little bit of things moving forward. I know it’s frustrating.” — Buffalo Sabres coach Ted Nolan
Posted on November 24, 2013, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Cody Hodgson, Detroit Red Wings, Drew Stafford, Matt Moulson, Overreactions, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Shitty Third Jerseys, Steve Ott, Tyler Ennis, Tyler Myers. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.