Overreactions, Preseason Edition: Sabres fall to Maple Leafs in really, really long shootout
Then the third period of the team’s fourth preseason game started.
Blowing a two goal lead in the final ten minutes of regulation, the Buffalo Sabres couldn’t beat James Reimer in time to save the win as they fell 3-2 in a shootout to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The game was decided by a shootout after a spirited overtime, and it took 30 (yes, 30) shooters to decide the winner. Jhonas Enroth was beaten by Jay McClement in the 15th round of the shootout, and Reimer stopped all 15 shooters he faced.
“I thought our game for 50 minutes was really, really strong,” said Sabres forward Steve Ott. “The last ten minutes, we cost ourselves.”
Enroth was solid in net for Buffalo, stopping 32 of 34 shots in addition to 14 of 15 in the shootout.
The Sabres got goals from Mark Pysyk and Marcus Foligno, while Jamie Devane (sounds fake to me) and McClement scored for Toronto. Reimer made 38 saves for the Leafs.
These teams meet again tomorrow night in Toronto, in what should be the last chance to impress for at least a few players.
- Brian Flynn really picked up his game from the other night, and his hustle gave him a few chances to make a mark. He needs another game like this to really make his case to stick around with a guy like Zemgus Girgensons in a good spot to make the team.
- People really hate Patrick Kaleta. Man, he was running around trying to hit anything the first few shifts of the game.
- Jamie McBain had a pretty solid game, but I’m not sure he’s going to make the team still. It’s obvious they were really trying to give him a solid look, as he had a team high 27:02 TOI, but I think that shows more that he’s on the fence than that he’s got a spot.
- Cody McCormick could be winning the enforcer role. He got some PK time, but he’s been going out of the way to make sure he’s dropping the gloves when he can. If you value that, he’s doing what you want. You just wonder if you need both him and John Scott on the roster when you want to give young kids a chance.
- Marcus Foligno had a nice game tonight.
- I like how the fans here, instead of starting a chant to overpower “Go Leafs Go” just decide to boo. So lazy.
- Good to see Mark Pysyk lock up that roster spot with a solid outing. Great plays to get up ice and create chances throughout the night. He’s a guy that I can imagine the organization wants to let him make the next step, but with a roster crunch and the fact he can easily go back to Rochester, he’s still in limbo. It’s going to be an interesting next week for him. Might turn out that he gets put down to start while they convince Ristolainen to stay here instead of going back to Finland. Who knows. But a game like tonight helps.
- By the way, Steve Ott totally shot the puck at Dion Phaneuf on purpose. That was awesome.
Posted on September 21, 2013, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Brian Flynn, Cody McCormick, Jamie McBain, Jhonas Enroth, Marcus Foligno, Mark Pysyk, Overreactions, Patrick Kaleta, Sabres, Steve Ott, Toronto Maple Leafs. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.