Overreactions, 16th Edition: Hi! You know Toe Blake? No?
Hard to imagine an effort this demoralizing can be classified in that manner.
After taking a 1-0 lead early in the first, Buffalo got run over by Boston… literally. A “gutless” first period hit on Ryan Miller by Boston’s Milan Lucic set the tone as the Bruins scored the next six en route to handing the Sabres a 6-2 loss.
Miller eventually left the game at the end of the second period after allowing three goals and being bowled over twice by Bruins players. Jhonas Enroth finished the third, allowing three goals in a game that was decided before he even stepped in.
“I thought it was a major,” Ruff said. “I thought if it was open season on goalies then let’s get at it.”
The story for Boston was the offensive explosion, but the story for Buffalo was the emotional implosion. The complete lack of response to the Lucic hit on Miller.
The postgame reaction from the players revealed nothing but frustration over the hit and the aftermath.
“I’m not really going to get into that,” Miller said in TD Garden. “I just stuck around because I wanted to say what a piece of shit I think Lucic is. Fifty pounds on me, and he runs me like that? It’s unbelievable. Everyone in this city see him as a big, tough, solid player. I respected him for how hard he plays. That was gutless. Gutless. Piece of shit.”
Paul Gaustad wasn’t happy with the reaction.
“I can do more. I’m embarrassed that we didn’t respond the way we should have. It falls on myself. I look at myself first, and I wasn’t good enough.
“We didn’t push back. There’s no reason to be scared. We had to go after it, and we didn’t.”
When asked about Gaustad’s comments, Ruff responded with possibly the quote of the night.
“Paul was on the ice.”
Thomas Vanek and Marc-Andre Gragnani scored for Buffalo.
- Tyler Myers’ pathetic play of late needs to be addressed. Lindy seemed to indicate after the game that he was going to let Myers play through it, but that’s not working. Myers was -3 again, and looked absolutely awful throughout. Somehow, he remains on the top powerplay unit and can’t play his way out of the lineup. An outbreak is becoming an epidemic. He’s singlehandedly ruined Andrej Sekera’s strong start to the season.
- Before the whole mess from the Lucic hit, the Sabres took a quick lead on the road on a goal. Thomas Vanek from Jason Pominville. The guys keep producing. Both have 20 points through 16 games. That’s tied for fourth in the league, Pominville is fourth in assists. and Vanek is tied for second in goals.
- Jhonas Enroth got thrown to the wolves in this one. He received little help from his defense and allowed more goals in one period than he has in any game this season. The defense corps should be embarassed by their efforts Saturday.
- The Sabres’ lack of response to the Lucic hit or Tyler Seguin crashing the crease makes you wonder why they trade for a guy like Robyn Regehr or give Cody McCormick $1.2 million a year. Instances like that are when those guys need to show up. Paul Gaustad was on the ice. Mike Weber was in the press box. Patrick Kaleta can’t be expected to be the lone physical presence. Beating teams like Boston is going to be tough when you respond like that.
- In my Ottawa recap, I mentioned how Marc-Andre Gragnani needs to shoot the puck. Yeah, about that…
- Some national media criticized Miller’s reaction, including E.J. Hradek flipping the douche switch to high and saying he can’t talk because Kaleta is on his team. And you wonder why people complain that players aren’t colorful enough. A guy goes out and makes a statement and media guys are ripping him for it. People are morons.
- Even getting away from the “Lucic is a piece of shit” thing, the Sabres got dominated. Outshot in every period. Lost the faceoff battle. Just looked horrible all around.
- I didn’t hate Jordan Leopold’s game. He’s been quietly good lately.
- All in all, it was a very disheartening effort. Sometimes you get outplayed, sometimes you don’t get the bounces. This game was a complete weak effort, in performance and emotion. The Sabres failed to respond to being challenged physically or skillfully. Hard to believe this team has won four of five.
Posted on November 13, 2011, in Sabres/NHL and tagged Boston Bruins, Cody McCormick, Horseshit Performances, Jhonas Enroth, Lindy Ruff, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Milan Lucic is a piece of shit, Overreactions, Patrick Kaleta, Paul Gaustad, Ryan Miller, Sabres, Thomas Vanek, Tyler Myers. Bookmark the permalink. 5 Comments.